Oct 17, 2007

Future is DARK

Greetings,

Amidst the IT outsourcing blitzkreig across the world, I contribute my cents working for a company in India. With 8+ years in this industry, i can't call myself a veteran but seasoned enough to observe and understand the industry trends and outlook.

When i meet my friends and/or colleagues over weekends and tea breaks, typically the conversation starts with "how and what they are doing". 9 times of 10, I will hear *kat rahi hai* (Just passing time) or "vehla hoon bhaaji" (I am idle). After that, for next 20-30 mins, we will keep jabbering about
+ This guy switched N jobs
+ That guy got N% raise
+ ABC bought a flat and made heck of money
+ How liquidity in indian stock market creating new bubble.
+ ABC quit because of onsite aspiration
+ Manager of ABC doesnt give good raise.

+ How this company is making me do a job much below my potential
.............and so on.


Well, the point I wish to make is that in this entire hoopla, hardly anybody is *working* in true sense. At the risk of being killed by Fixed Bid project teams, I can say that Most are under-utilized, have nothing much to do but run their minds scheming about second/third source of income. Many people actually use the company's telephones to run their business, use the company's network to trade on stock exchange or look ot propert portals etc.

People don't have enough work. If they have the work, mostly it's work much below the man's potential (which was judged at the time of hiring). In the end, fix this, document that, send report. Period.

Now, the (b)million dollar question is that where is this industry heading? I have couple of ideas but let's put that on hold for next blog of mine.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Kat rahi hai" is an over-utilized phrase in the Indian melodrama (peculiarly North-Indian, PS: pun intended). Over the cup of coffee, people talk futile, they always answer the way, other person is happy to listen to. People do crib about salaries/raise, in an anticipation that their plea might magically fall on the deaf ears ;)

I definitely don't mean that guys are NOT under-utilized, definitely they are. A novel solution to the problem exists too: 20%, brought to fame by Google. The concept which has given birth to ideas like GMail, Adsense, Picasa, Reader etc.

I wait when employers realize the potential of 20% to harness the 80% under-utilization. :)

Navjot said...

I always cherish the idea of having 2 jobs because today's jobs can't satisfy you in all aspects. One that pays your bills and second will take care of your passionate, creative side. For people like you, someone has written a book "Hackers and Painters". If you have find time, do read it.